Sunday 20 June 2010

It's been awhile since the last time I updated this, so I may leave huge swaths of events out, or overlap. Oh well.

I suppose the first and foremost thing I should talk about is the pyramids which we visited over the weekend. We got to Cairo on thursday evening, and ate on a huge boat that was in the water. The food was good, and the highlight was when the kitchen on the boat caught fire, filling everything with smoke. After that, we got to take a sailboat ride on the Nile for about an hour. It was very cool, and the buildings around the river are very well lit and 1st world looking.

The next day, in the morning, we visited the Saqqara step pyramids. It was very interesting of course, but I think the whole experience is a bit surreal right now. I mean, I've seen countless Nat Geo specials on the pyramids, but when I got there I guess I was more interested in pictures than I was in reveling in the fact I was with 5 yards of something so ancient. Perhaps the most striking aspect of that area is the sheer number of pyramids in the desert. Everyone is familiar with the great Giza pyramids, and most likely with Saqqara, but I don't think most people realize how many pyramids the Egyptians built, most of which are over 50 feet tall. It's an amazing insight into that civilization's desire to prove their technological strength to the known world at that time. The Saqqara pyramid is kind of on the edge of a great plain, and as far as the eye can see there are pyramids surrounded by desert sand. It's a lonely reminder of the greatness that was ancient Egypt.

After Saqqara, we ate at an interesting restaurant. The food was typical Egyptian food, but maybe a bit bland in comparison to most high-end restaurants. After that, we visited the great Giza pyramids. I think everyone today is a bit desensitized to high buildings, but when you stand within 10 yards of it, and realize how large the rocks are which they built with, you get a good appreciation of just how huge they are. I would guess the base to be 150, maybe 200 yards in width, and the height is roughly 450 feet.

A bad part of the pyramids experience was the number of peddlers trying to get every Westerner to buy anything. It was impossible to simply look at their wares without having to tell them to get lost repeatedly. But I suppose that's a small price to pay.

Later that evening, we visited a huge bazaar which I thoroughly enjoyed. It was right across the street from the largest Sunni university in the world, which I suppose added to the experience.

Thursday evening, after dinner, we arrived to our hotel. Somewhere before falling asleep, it hit me how much different my living conditions are from what I'm used to. I do a lot of things that most "city guys" wouldn't do, but nevertheless I always like a nice, personal shower and a carpeted floor. It was very hard to leave the motel, haha, but gave me something to look forward to.

I guess that's enough information now about my trip. I don't want to make it too itinerary-ish. If you're reading this, chances are you'll be hearing more stories from me when I get back, so I'll stop here.

It was kinda hard to get back from the trip and jump right back into school mode, but everyone is pretty much resigned to the fact that we don't have a choice, so any complaining is simply a waste of time. I am learning a lot in my classes though, so I guess they aren't all bad. But between pyramids or classes, pyramids win every time.

In roughly three weeks, we get to take a 4 day trip to Mount Sinai, and probably Sharm-el-Sheikh. After that, we have about 3 weeks left, and that'll be the end of the summer. Not that I'm counting down too much, but I certainly have one eye toward my return, and all the fun that will be.

This post has almost no flow or chronology, and is probably the least inspired, but I'm a bit tired and doing this out of necessity. I don't want to go too long, and end up forgetting things. In a couple days, I should have my head back above the sea of homework, so hopefully my posts will become a bit more entertaining haha. There's my disclaimer for the day. Anyways, I want to say thank you to all the people on my facebook who have asked me to post. It means a lot to know these are read. I started this blog so I could look back on it later and remember stuff, but I certainly appreciate everyone who pays attention to this. Later

No comments:

Post a Comment