Wednesday 14 July 2010

Sometime a Longtime After My Last Post

I don't know when my last post was, or what I've done since, but I'll ramble on and hope everything gets covered.

We're about to finish our first week after the trip to Sinai. About which, we visited Mount Sinai, Saint Catherine Monastery, a very cool resort TOWN called Dahab, and a very nightmarish Russian-city-but-under-the-government-of-Egypt called Sharm-el-Sheikh.

On Sinai- we arrived at the base of the mountain at approximately 145 a.m. I don't remember which day, but i think it was Friday. Anyways, most people had their spirits high, regardless of the fact that we were about to start a 2.5 hour march-hike without any sleep.

It was one of the coolest things I've done in my life. Myself and 3 friends were the first 4 people atop the mountain that day, out of what I would guess was 150 tourists at sunrise. I was rather tired but very much had a sense of self-accomplishment. I underestimated the hike, which explains my rather nonsensical decision to carry my roughly 20-pound backpack all the way up. But the view was worth it, it was very cool and an experience I won't forget.

After that, we went to a seaside town named Dahab. I absolutely love this place and want to go back next summer if possible. In my opinion, it is the perfect combination of westernness without the tacky-tourist feel or size of Sharm el Sheikh.

The next day we visited Sharm el Sheikh, I guess it wasn't too bad but it had nothing on the atmosphere and chillness of Dahab. The whole place was filled with rich Europeans who were seemingly under the illusion they were experiencing Egypt. Ha.

Time is kinda slowing down right now, due to the fact I'm starting to anticipate the end. We have 3 weeks left this Saturday, and from now until the end it's going to be a headfirst jaunt through a forest of homework. It's a double-edged sword in the fact that I can slack and not do homework and see time creep even slower, or do my homework and...do my homework.

I'm growing more accustomed to this place, and really if I didn't have America on the very near horizon I would be very comfortable. But I'm very much being assaulted by the desire to see family and friends, experience American comforts again (of which there are too many to name or consciously recall), and generally see exactly how much I've learned and how much change I have undergone.

I'm glad to be back in Alex though. I guess you don't know what you have until it's gone, and Sharm made me realize that I guess that saying goes for Egypt as well. The people here are so much nicer, the city has a much more laid back air to it, and I'm starting to feel like I have my own little piece carved out now.

I guess that's about that for now. I might be taking a trip to Cairo next week to see a friend from OU, if so it'll be my last meaningful event here, that is unless I save a choking child or something. But I should update more often as I'll no doubt be seeking refuge from my homework. Until then, later.

No comments:

Post a Comment